Friday, March 23, 2012

Thank you Trayvon

The Trayvon Martin case has really shaken the country to its core. Everyone is speaking out one way or another, many are showing support to Trayvon's family by breaking out their hoodies. President Obama chimed in on the case today by stating the fact that if he had a son, he would look like Trayvon. That is a point blank fact on many levels. I read an article on Politico that Newt Gingrinch called the President's comments disgraceful. My rant here is not about want Newt said, he is a set of clown shoes that I will not waste blogging space on. But my rant here is about the, how can I say this, blind comments by most of the readers there. One comment got to me and it was the first one that I read. A lady came out and said that the country is more divided since Obama has been President. Here is where I want to concentrate. (The article by the way is at http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/03/newt-calls-obamas-trayvon-martin-comments-disgraceful-118518.html)

There are many who disagree with the President's stances on policy and philosophy. But there is many who can not fathom that a man of color is the leader of the free world. The latter crew of people are being drawn out of the darkness. (Basically they are becoming more and more vocal.) For a lot of people, this would make it seem that the country is more divided. No, it is just that the infected wound of years of institutionalized hate has been re-exposed to the light. Many people in different forums and discussions are quick to use the terms like "playing the race card" and "why are we trying to live in the past"? This is a weak, cowardly and unintelligent stance for a modern society. The United States is supposed to be the standard bearer of freedom, the example of a modern civilized society, the world leader. And we can't get human respect right. We as a country can't muster the testicular fortitude to come together as the Union and truly deal with the mess of racial equality that we have been so scared to deal with. As great is our country is, we are still nothing more than mere cowards when it comes to dealing with ourselves. Who are we to be an example?

This brings me to Trayvon. This young brother was killed by an Hispanic man because he thought and assumed that Trayvon didn't belong there. This young brother supposedly had no right to be in this neighborhood, with his hoodie up walking down the street. Trayvon was killed because he seemingly didn't belong in this particular environment. He didn't look the part. I would encourage anyone who doesn't understand this to ask any African-American or Hispanic man about this. I bet 8 of of 10 can tell you of a time where they were stopped just because of how they look. I can bring up 4 times since I have been to Dallas alone and several times at home in NC. I was Trayvon at 17...I am Trayvon now...Trayvon's death needs to be the last straw, needs to be the breaking point where people, community by community, come together to work through and learn each other differences so that we have a better situation for our kids. Trayvon did not die in vain. God will make sure that justice is served, but God is sending a message for His people. Matthew 25:31-46 reads:

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, take your inheritance, the Kingdom prepared for you since the creations of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink" When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?" "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, "Dpeart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you didn't clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you didn't look after me." "They will also answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

At 17, I was Trayvon. At 39, I am still Trayvon. Just my .02 cents worth....



   

1 comment:

Rampage said...

Well said my brother.

In fact, it is said so well that I will need to reflect before I fully reply to your blog post.